nurse life

Monday, November 13, 2006

Betrothal

Yep, that is right, it has happened to me...I got engaged and I will be married next year. I remember a friend of mine once said with a chuckle, "Pica, there is no goddamn way you will ever get married. Nobody in his right mind will marry you." Well then, I guess my fiance is one insane sonofabitch! And I am the one laughing now.

The funny thing is, I'm getting married and all of a sudden, EVERYONE has an opinion about it. The colour of my dress, the shape, the style, whether I should try to lose some weight, whether I look great as I am, what flavour the cake should be blah blah blah blah. Then again, a wedding is something one holds for the general public...my dad calls weddings "Let's all feed the nation" ceremonies...and when one does anything in the public eye, one has to be expectant of criticism and opinions.

The thing people don't seem to be understanding is that the day itself is of no real importance to me...its all about what happens after...living with my man, sharing a life and making our hopes and dreams come about together. The day is just one day. Its the rest of my life that I care about. I'm more than certain its going to be a happy life.

I officially graduate on December 5th and I can't wait. It is by far the most important day of my life. All odds were pretty much against me. It will take all my physical strength not to grab the certificate and scream "FUCK YOU!" to a couple of people in the audience while giving them the finger. Then again, what could possibly happen if I really did it? I bet I'd get my picture in the paper...the story line would read "Insolent graduate shows faculty what she's made of " or "Nothing like university education" Yes, yes. I'd go down in history. Everyone would say "there was this one girl who flashed the bird at her lecturers" and I'd proudly think, yeah, that was me. But of course I will do no such thing...not the proper decorum for an educated soon-to-be wife.

Yeah right. Pfffffft.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 14, 2006, Blogger MaltaGirl said...

Wow, congratulations, that's brilliant news!!! I'm very happy for you :-)

Yes it's true that everyone suddenly has an opinion... be prepared for some arguments *sigh* but in my experience the arguments generally happen because two people have different expectations and don't realise where the other person is coming from ;-)

Hey great timing too, what with the weddings fair being this week... enjoy, and all the best for your future with your man!

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006, Blogger sharonspiteri said...

Congratulations Pica... must email the husband-to-be mela hux :-) ... You and Maltagirl can plan your weddings together... you can meet up and bring out your scrapbooks and discuss fabrics and centrepieces etc hehehehe

 
At Thursday, November 16, 2006, Blogger Hsejjes said...

Ooohh nurse pica! Congratulations!! If you want some advice from someone who has been married for 16 years you can give me a shout. I will give you the whole download, warts and all....tee hee...As for the big day, I also have some horror/funny stories for you.
And I would not suggest you give the finger to anyone, even if it is VERY tempting. They are not worth it.Just enjoy your graduation and that's it.

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006, Blogger Erezija said...

haha! luigi is going to tie the know, god bless him

 
At Saturday, November 18, 2006, Blogger Victoria said...

Congrats and a big goodluck for the preparations :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home