nurse life

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

And that was it

I felt so sorry today.

Tomorrow my friend is doing his final practical so today I went to work to help him. I was so wrapped up with his exam patients that I barely noticed what was happening a few beds away.

There was an illegal immigrant in a single room. He had a rebreather mask on (a mask with a bag attached) and he was breathing rapidly and heavily. My friend gave him the thumbs-up sign questionably and he shook his head. We called the nursing officer.

The patient started writhing about, shaking his arms, his head everywhere, his eyes buldging. He was given pain relief. They started CPR. I was at the door saying to myself "Please don't die, please don't die."

Nurses were running through the ward, trying to save this man's life. But there came a point where he could fight no more. The light left his eyes. Then he left us. The nurses put down their hands and sighed. There was nothing we could do for him now.

And that was it.
And this is my life. Hovering amongst people who might die and who will die.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, February 23, 2006, Blogger Coemgen said...

I know what you felt dear.

Being a nurse with a heart is difficult, but such people leave their print on people's hearts.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is life. You win some and you loose some.

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2006, Blogger cybergaijin said...

I guess that you have to learn to emotionally detach yourself from patients or you be burnt out pretty quickly. It is sad that he died in a foreign land with no friends or family around him.

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger Erezija said...

what did he die of? what was wrong with him? do you know how he got so sick?

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger nurse pica said...

tuberculosis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home