nurse life

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A lack of Vision

Usually I post about hospital related occurances, so I am sure that right now everyone is thinking that I am going to tell some humourous tale about a blind patient ambling about, not knowing where he is going or perhaps being too proud to ask for help.

Well, what I am about to relate is pretty much the same, but different.

Yesterday I went over to my manfriend's house to watch the "Malta song for europe" competition, to see which song would be chosen to take part in the Eurovision song contest. I think yesterday I felt least proud to be Maltese, seriously.

First a few shallow points...

Jesus Christ, who dressed those singers? I felt sorry for most of them. Did they honestly look in the mirror and say "Oh, I look gorgeous, I most sincerely am the belle of this competition."? Were their parents and relatives watching them at home saying "Look how far my baby has come! Taking part in eurovision song for europe!" In a fuck ugly dress I may add. Fish-tail dresses were the popular choice for the evening but ofcourse they were worn by the wrong people. Yes, Nicole Kidman might wear one, Gwyneth Peltrow might wear one but do you know what these 2 fabulous women have in common? THEY ARE STICK THIN! On behalf of fat-bottomed girls everywhere (and trust me, I am one of them) keep away from hip-hugging, fish tail evening gowns; you can only lose. Kudos go to Olivia Lewis who tried the very up and coming Edwardian look however her stylist got it wrong in ill-fitting trousers and a ruffle that looked like a fancy noose.

Also too much make-up was the order of the night and I wonder how many of them bought a hammer and chisel this morning to crack it off...well they also could have tried scraping it off with a lock of their own hair because there was so much gel and spray that the rock hard helmet look prevailed.

And how can one forget the performances? Look people, choreographed pathos NEVER works. It isn't cool. And rubbing shoulders with the guitarist of your band went out with Jon Bon Jovi when he got his hair cut. Woo hoo hoo, were these guys were living on a prayer. Unfortunately, they weren't even half way there. And what about the Warrior sisters? Their pathos wasn't even in synch. And who could forget the other sisters, the maltese Britney and Lynne Spears? The way that younger one was dancing and jumping up and down in that sparkly purple cat-suit and her sister who stopped singing just because her microphone didnt work...that is a big no no. As all performers should know, the show must go on, despite technical faults.

That's another thing...one of Malta's biggest shows and there were technical faults! And it wasn't just any show, it was a competition. As a result, the faulted songs were played again...was this fair? Ok, it wasn't fair to have your microphone not working during your moment, but is it fair to the other contestants to have your song played twice? lets put it this way, with songs written for eurovision, generally you don't need to listen to more than 20 seconds of it to get the vibe of it all and if the microhpone stopped working in the middle of a 4minute song...well, you do the math.

The half time show depressed me. There was this guy dressed up as a taxi (yes, a taxi) who was running through the audience and passing comments in a loud and crude voice. He was completely unfunny and he couldn't even think of 2 original jokes because he passed the exact same comments to two different people and carried out the exact same distasteful monologue. It was like a broken record.

Yet the pinnacle of my anger was reached when the eurovision-hater of all time took to the stage: Lou Bondi. What the hell???? He hates eurovision yet embraced it last night by playing guitar (badly) to the most commercial Beatle's songs in existance. Was he trying to patch things up between him and the eurovision-loving public, to make his repetoire more rich, so to speak? Before introducing him they put up a small feature of his eurovision-hating life...so what, now he converted to the eurovision holiness? What a sell out. If he had the slightest amount of integrity, he would have stuck to his guns...the only thing I ever agreed with Lou Bondi on was his dislike for Eurovision...now, he has completely lost all credibility. Oh, and he should have taken some guitar lessons, starting with Anti-Pathos 101.

In all honesty it saddened me. This is NOT how I want Maltese people to be portrayed...as people without a clue. The wrong people are in charge of the wrong things, and everyone is afraid to comment for fear of a law-suit or being hated by the general public and having all the politics on this island against you. Yesterday's event was a celebration of mediocrity and everyone is too blind to see it.

Yes its very easy for me to sit here, behind a false name and criticise...however I value my job and I value my reputation and I dont want it ruined in a heartbeat, especially since my intentions are benevolent. I know that once word gets out about this post I will be attacked. I would love to be able to help make Malta a better place and I try to do so in my own little life, with my patients. However I would like to wake up the organisers of these events or at least help them broaden their obviously very small and closed minds. Once again, it all boils down to how satisfied this country is with itself and nobody even thinks about it possibly being better, more advanced...so we either remain static or else decline.

This isnt Eurovison. Its Lack of vision.

Much love everybody.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, February 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention my favourite bit. The part where the only song different enough from the rest of the drivel to actually stand a chance in Greece was voted amongst the last of the lot.

But I guess this has nothing to do with artistic integrity. Thanks anyway Nadine; some people on this island really did enjoy your rendition.

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i sooo agree with you!!! well done...

clo

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2006, Blogger nurse pica said...

yes, i liked nadine's song,performance and her dress suited her.

 
At Monday, February 06, 2006, Blogger Coemgen said...

Nadine was massive. Her voice is smashing but I think her song is too easy listening to go for Eurovision.

...and by the way, besides being lack of vision, it wasn't Eurovision either. It was the Malta Song for Europe or rather.... anyways, you know what I mean Pica, you read all of it:)

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006, Blogger Erezija said...

reading this made me weep... it's not even funny anymore...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home