nurse life

Monday, August 01, 2005

Its been a bad day...

Because of some fuck up on my school's behalf, i had to work in an elderly home once again. i was thrown into the pribate home next door to where i live which i thought would be great, but in reality it was horrible.

First of all, I was sent from where the home was situated to the nearest polyclinic to get an x-ray for a patient:

Nurse: take this patient to the health centre, please.
me: sure, will the van be waiting outside?
Nurse: no, you'll go on foot with a wheel chair.
me: ha ha ha, thats a good one, ha ha...(nurse looks dead serious)...u arent joking, are you?
Nurse shakes head and hands me the X-ray form.

Needless to say, Maltese roads are not made for faulty wheelchairs and this wheel chair rolled all over the god damn place. it took all my might to control it. when i arrive at the health centre, the lift was not working. i had no choice but to leave my patient downstairs on her own, while i ran up to sort things out. i ended up going back to the old age home, x-rayless and boiling in the 12o'clock heat.

when i got back, i was dying to go home and have a shower, since i live right next door, i would definitely come back on time when my break would be over. so this is what happened when i asked permission.
(btw, a stupid move on my behalf was asking the matron when the owner of the place was about. but i cant be blamed, i didnt know.)

me: do you mind if i go home for break?
owner: NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! RUNNING ABOUT OUTSIDE WITH YOUR UNIFORM!
me: i live exactly next door.
owner: IF YOU COME HERE, YOU FOLLOW MY RULES! YOU DO NOT LEAVE IN YOUR UNIFORM!

but it was ok to go on a twenty-minute walk with a half-dead lady in a wheelchair on a bumpy road in my uniform...oh, and i should mention there was the "monti" going on at that point.

i dont think i can tolerate this anymore, these rules which are only set for those in power's convenience.

i swear, if i had a pistol, it would be them or me...and i wouldn't know which to point the barrel at.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 03, 2005, Blogger Erezija said...

you'd think the owner of a home for the elderely would be a kind hearted, understanding person, not just a profiteer of this society's unwillingness to take care of their own elderly in their own homes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home