nurse life

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Another day, another maddening experience.

Today was a challenge. Good Lord, thats being mild. My patience was certainly tried and tested today.
A patient mimicked me from 7am-7pm. I had a 12hr echo. Now looking back on the day's events, it was quite comical.
Me: Are you hungry?
Patient: Are you hungry?
Me: No, I'm not. Are you?
Patient: No, I'm not, are you?
Me: (to my friend) Oh dear.
Patient: Oh dear.
Me: Are you mimicking me?
Patient: Are you mimicking me?
Me: No! I mean, stop it!
Patient: Stop it!
At that point I was going to let out a primal scream. I knew it was a condition that comes about because these patients are not communicated with enough, but its still maddening. When a patient acts like that you can get nothing done, you can not get any answers and I ended up enforcing my wishes on the patient. It was lunch time, I thought she should be hungry so I fed her. She promptly spat out everything on my lap...this vile, pureed, semi-chewed orange mush. I assure you, even Oliver Twist would not say “Please sir, I want some more” to that gruel!
The staff did not treat us spectacularly well either. My friend and I got the impression that they were trying to make fun of us and that they were taking advantage of us. I was made to make half the ward's beds on my own. I know I should have refused and I should have been more assertive, especially since some of the beds could not be raised. Also, because my accent happens to sound slightly foreign, it is also criterion to treat me as a fool because “dik ma tifhimx.” I encounter this a lot, but today it was at its most apparent.
Today I saw red. But I kept my cool. However I hoped to heaven that I would never have to return to that ward.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger noel tanti said...

Today was a challenge. Good Lord, thats being mild. My patience was certainly tried and tested today.
A patient mimicked me from 7am-7pm. I had a 12hr echo. Now looking back on the day's events, it was quite comical.
Me: Are you hungry?
Patient: Are you hungry?
Me: No, I'm not. Are you?
Patient: No, I'm not, are you?
Me: (to my friend) Oh dear.
Patient: Oh dear.
Me: Are you mimicking me?

:) just joking

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger nurse pica said...

bahnan.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2005, Blogger noel tanti said...

ghaziz xwajten, naf x'jigifieri perfettament, ghaddejt minnha kemm-il darba...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home