nurse life

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Shocking!

Today was shocking...literally.
I knew that in this ward they would carry out electro-shock therapy, so to prepare myself for the worst, I rented out “One flew over the cuckoo's nest.” Fantastic film. Its about a man who pleads insanity to prevent himself from getting thrown into jail and is instead thrown into a mental health institution. There is one horrible scene where he is given ECT without GA or muscle relaxants, however it was 1963, so I do not suppose things were as sophisticated as they are now. The most disturbing part was that this man started to make these stifled noises of pain and discomfort which really was a bit too much.
Well, at PU it was obviously much different, more humane. But I still couldn't help feeling my heart sink to my stomach. The room was stuffy and hot and the doctors and nurses crowded the room and when the shock was given, the patient's body convulsed, banging his foot on the wall while the teeth-guard in his mouth bounced and quivered. It was all a bit much. After watching 3 of them, I went to help out in recovery.
That helped a little because I realised that when it was all over, the patients looked normal and well, like nothing ever went on and their relatives drove them home. And their lives went on as usual.
I wasn't feeling very well and when the ECT room was empty I sat on a chair to think a bit. A nurse popped in and said in a playful way “oh, so you're next?” I said “NO!”.
But the thing is that it can easily be me or someone I know and love. What would happen then?
My grandfather who is now 85yrs old is a psychiatrist and he was telling me how practicing mental health care prepares you for everything. It also makes you realise how lucky you really are. I often look at my reflection and ask God why did he give me a big old nasty lump on my nose or goofy red hair and black eyebrows. I now realise just how superficial that all is. I'm sure that everyone in that unit would not mind being a little peculiar looking yet have a stable mental-status. I count my blessings now, I really do.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 14, 2005, Blogger noel tanti said...

working with mental health patients makes you realise how many things we take for granted, which, truth be told, we should not (as in chewing food, smiling, talking)...

i also remember noticing that mental health patients are classified as such mostly due to the intensity of a particular trait rather than for just manifesting it... for instance, who doesn't check that the front door is locked? (except for canadians) but only persons suffering from ocd would take two hours to do so...

reading about psychiatry and seeing mental health patients just make you wonder how sane you really are, and how easy it is to flip...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home