nurse life

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Yet another round for the rat race

This weekend was a full one, with dancing, drinking and thesis writing. Tomorrow I go back to my calling in life, helping sick people. However, this weekend I really got thinking.

Isn't it amazing at what a high esteem we hold people in the entertainment business? Actors, singers, footballers, supermodels. It makes no sense to me, the way we feel so honoured to be in some famous actor's presence or in the presence of a singer. Aren't they just people like you and I? The only difference they have is luck...being in the right place and at the right time. Singers do nothing to get their voice...they were born with it. Actors could go to acting school...yet if there isn't underlying talent then it won't work, therefore even they were born with their abilities...it all depends on luck. Yet these are the people we are in awe of, these are the people considered successful and worst of all...better than ourselves, the unfamous, the little people. Really and truly, we admire people because they do something which we feel we can't but would love to. But at the end of the day, these people did nothing to get the voice they have, or the talent they have or the looks. And once potential actors/singers hit the big time, they get the pay cheque to match.

And what about us nurses, who put ourselves in potential danger almost every day? Working with contagious and deadly diseases, hurting our backs and hands when lifting and handling patients...basically helping the unfortunate, helping people who can't be blamed for the state they are in. So where's my Oscar? Where's my Golden Globe? Where's my Grammy? Who is putting me on a platform and admiring me, feeling honoured to be in my presence, thinking their evening was a sucess because i decided to turn up?

Nobody. Except my patients, who I love. And I guess that's what matters the most because all in all, there is very little difference between the ill and the singers/actors/models...most of them did not do anything to get to the state they are in now... only the sick were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good night everybody, much love.

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 23, 2006, Blogger Victoria said...

i agree with you. however i wouldnt want to live their life. for being so popular they have a lack of privacy. for every fan, there are 100 critics. i like the fact that if i want to get noticed, i make myself noticed but if i want peace and kwiet, i can hide away anywhere i am.

for ur common people, our grammys is the appreciation from our direct supervisors, from our clients/patients and from our friends. when the gratitude is sincear, i doubt that any grammy will signify as much

 

Post a Comment

<< Home