nurse life

Friday, January 13, 2006

Spirituality and the Godfather

We had to perform a presentation for spirituality today. We spent a whole day at a youth centre, it was freezing cold and we had to sit through a number of boring presentations from our colleagues until it was my turn. To add insult to injury, the chairs were the wooden folding sort. Just awful. I started feeling the wooden slats on my bum-bones.

Yes, quite my idea of hell.

However due to some originality of thought, our presentation was fabulous and I bet we all got A's...at least I hope so. We decided to start the presentation with an extract from the Godfather. An unusual choice, yes. My friend and I acted it out and it received thunderous applause. One would ask, why the Godfather? well the bit we portrayed was really relevant.

In any case, everyone knows the Godfather can take care of anything.

(I played the part of Cardinal Lamberto)

The courtyard of the abbey. Michael and Cardinal Lamberto are talking.

MICHAEL
I trusted this business arrangement with the archbishop. I trusted him, I was sure his honesty was beyond a doubt. But, as you see, I'm now the victim of a swindle. They're stalling me. Vast moneys have gone to the pezzonovante in high political places, and the Vatican bank is the guarantor.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
If uh, what you say is true, there will be a great scandal.

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Look at this stone. It has been lying in the water for a very long time, but the water has not penetrated it.

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Look. Perfectly dry. The same thing has happened to men in Europe. For centuries they have been surrounded by Christianity, but Christ has not penetrated. Christ doesn't breathe within them.

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
What's happened?
MICHAEL
Is it possible, that you could get me something sweet? Orange juice, anything, candy.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO (to a priest, in Italian)
"Please get some orange juice and candy..."
MICHAEL
Trouble with diabetes. Blood sugar levels must be low.

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
I understand.

MICHAEL
When I'm under stress sometimes this happens.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
I understand.
MICHAEL
I come to you, on such a delicate matter -- accusations against your Archbishop -- was difficult for me.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
The mind suffers and the body, cries out.
MICHAEL
That's true.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Would you like, to make your confession?
MICHAEL (laughs)
Your Eminence, I’m uh – I’m uh -- it's been so long, I wouldn't – wouldn’t – wouldn’t know where to uh, it's been thirty years, I'd – I’d – I’d use up too much of your time, I think.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
I always have time to save souls.
MICHAEL
Well, I'm -- I'm beyond redemption.

CARDINAL LAMBERTO (to the priest looking after Don Tommasino, in Italian)
"Give us a couple of minutes alone please – thanks…"

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
I hear the confessions of my young priests here. Sometimes the desire to confess is overwhelming. And we must seize the moment.
MICHAEL
What is the point of confessing, if I don't repent?
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
I hear you are a practical man. What have you got to lose? Huh?
(then, after a long pause)
Go on.
MICHAEL
I uh, I betrayed my wife.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Go on, my son.
MICHAEL
I betrayed myself.
(then)
I killed men.
(then)
And I ordered men to be killed.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Go on, my son, go on.
MICHAEL
Nah, it's useless.
CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Go on, my son.
MICHAEL
I killed -- I ordered the death of my brother. He injured me. I killed my mother’s son. I killed my father's son. (he breaks down in tears)

CARDINAL LAMBERTO
Your sins are terrible, and it is just that you suffer. Your life, could be redeemed, but I know that you don't believe that. You will not change.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, January 14, 2006, Blogger Coemgen said...

I liked it, a lot!

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2006, Blogger Coemgen said...

oh, and I had to mention it in my last entry too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home