nurse life

Monday, July 04, 2005

The mental health institution

I walked into The Children's mental health institute without really knowing what to expect. To be absolutely honest, all I heard were the negative aspects about the place. I promised myself to enter with an open mind and an open heart.

When I arrived at the unit with my colleague, we rang the door bell and we heard a dog barking, which I thought was great because I once read that animals can be a great source of therapy. Animals are always accepting and non-judgmental, which is just what these children needed.

The children eyed us with a certain amount of suspicion but I suppose that is normal and I began to acquaint myself with the patients and they honestly seemed to take a liking to us which was quite encouraging. I thought “Hey, this can't be half bad.” However, the next series of events showed me that these children will never be cured in such an environment.

Children are children. They do stupid things by adult standards, like roll on the floor or pretend they are Formula 1 drivers and they can be clumsy. One child accidentally brought down a curtain. He stepped on the edge of it while pretending to be a giant (he was only 10) and it came tumbling down. This child was screamed at, he was not allowed to explain himself and was placed in an isolation room for an hour. It is true that this child had a history of lying, but even murderers and child molesters are given a fair trial, so why was this child denied just that? It made me feel heartbroken. It also made me ask if the staff ever took a class in Helping Skills, and if they did, did they just study everything to pass the exam and forget it the next day?

Later on that day, I was speaking to this one 6-year-old child, a little boy. He started to fight with another little boy over a plastic toy. Instead of screaming at him, I tried to distract him by showing him all the animal noises I have in the ring tones of my mobile phone. Miraculously, it worked and it actually started rapport. He told me how his sister is also in another part of the mental health institute and how he tries very hard to be a “good boy.” It was really very endearing. When I was about to leave for break, we exchanged a dialogue that went like this:
little boy: So you're leaving me now?
Me: For a while, but I'll be back in a bit.
Little boy: You will be back, right?
Me: Yep, that's what I said.
Little boy: You're not lying, right?
Me: Of course I'm not lying. Why would I lie about something like that?
Little boy: Promise?
Me: Cross my heart.
Little boy: Good, because everyone seems to leave me. Now go, I'll see you later.
Me: If you want I'll stay, I don't mind.
Little boy: No, its fine. Bring me a Cornetto!

I thought to myself “Now that's out of the question because he already ate two this morning and I don't want to give him a tummy ache...not to mention I'm broke.”

I left for my break. When I got back, I really hoped he would expand on what he was trying to tell me, but he wouldn't and I did not want to force him. The little he told me was probably already a lot by his standards so I did not want to destroy his trust in me.
This experience was very satisfying. And I thanked God for my credit in helping skills!

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 04, 2005, Blogger noel tanti said...

x'kellhom ezattament dawn it-tfal biex kienu hemmhekk? behaviour problems? or learning disabilities?

 
At Monday, July 04, 2005, Blogger nurse pica said...

a bit of both really...alot had both parents there, a few threatened to kill their parents, depression, hyperactivity...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home