nurse life

Saturday, June 11, 2005

With a capital "V"

so today I had a day off and decided to go to our one and only capital city Valletta. I love valletta, its where I want to live, it is where i feel like i belong. it is such wonderful city, oozing with character...its what a city should be...very inspirational.

therefore this morning i decided to roam the streets of valletta by myself. I got hungry and bought myself a baguette from Jus Cafe and went walking down to the ID card area to overlook the sea. There are many moments in my life where i miss canada and i start to think about how life would be if i were still there. This wasnt one of them.

having finished my baguette, i began to walk up to the more metropolitan part of the city. on my way up, i witnessed this couple fighting quite vociferously. i stopped to watch, as other locals did. however, on my arrival, one of the spectators told the angry couple to stop it, because foreigners were watching. i looked around for these foreigners and i found everyone looking at me. i guess i was the foreigner.

Since I am a clothes junky i went looking about for intersting, original stuff at bargain prices. i was semi-successful. but really, my shopping trips to valletta arent about the shopping. its about enjoying the city, the way it triggers the five senses. i can feel the heat beating down on my sunhat, i can taste my mint-chocolate ice-cream i bought from a gelateria, i can hear the locals arguing and the "monti" blasting out wretched pop tunes, i can see the hideous and out-of-place ben and jerry's stand near cafe cordina and i can smell horse urine mixed with pastizzi as i pass by cafe perfection. this city depicts everything and everyone i know and love.

it may not seem like paradise. But hey, its home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home