nurse life

Monday, August 07, 2006

quite the anti-climax

I haven't written for a very, very long time. I wasn't feeling emotionally stable to do so and I was afraid I'd end up writing something I would regret.

I did very well in all my final papers and in my thesis, but unfortunately I did not manage to pass my practical exam. I have the resit in September and I am quite sure I will pass but I also realise that if I don't, I am in danger of losing my degree.

The amount of enormous failure I have felt for the past month has been unfathomable. I have felt like I am a bad nurse, like an idiot. What is more, I never expected such a thing to happen to me...to possibly not graduate.

At the end of the day, what happens is supposed to happen, whether I pass or fail. If I pass, I guess this resit was jus some way of showing me that I need to work harder and be assertive. If I fail, (which I'm not going to do), it just goes to show that nursing wasn't for me in the first place. However I find that very hard to believe. I care for my patients alot. But lately I have realised that care is not what nursing is all about. Sometimes I think its about everything but care.

I went to Paris for a week. It was a much needed holiday. I had a few moments to forget this total disaster and rediscover myself as a person.

For the past four years nursing consumed me, I could never concentrate on anything else. In a way I lost myself. My relationships suffered. My mental status was impaired. And I am never ever letting that happen to me ever again.

This time, I am in charge. And I am not going to let anyone forget it. Especially myself.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 08, 2006, Blogger Sabine said...

Have been reading your blog almost religiously, and I can't believe you didn't pass the practical... I wish you loads of luck for September!!

 
At Tuesday, August 08, 2006, Blogger Coemgen said...

Glad to read this post! If you're not good to be a CARING nurse, who the fuck is then?! I am sure you will do it and I am glad to see you're back, better than before.

 
At Tuesday, August 08, 2006, Blogger maressa said...

Good luck!

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006, Blogger Kenneth said...

That's the spirit, go for it, and best of luck.

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006, Blogger Hsejjes said...

I really think your not passing stinks.But I wish you luck for September.

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006, Blogger Roderick Mallia said...

Best of luck!

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006, Blogger Lejla Xemxija said...

Your attitude is on the right track! Take care of yourself first and foremost, and good luck for September ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home