nurse life

Thursday, November 10, 2005

The nurse is reunited

When I am not nursing, i try to amuse myself in other ways, whether consisting of meeting up with my good friends or with my man its all entertaining, its all good. however, lately i had a class reunion and at first i didn't want to go, but then thought what the heck and i decided to show my face.

In all honesty, it was so weird. as i walked into the presence of all those girls, the ones i spent my adolescence with i felt all my old insecurities bombard me and gang up on me, all screaming at me "YOU DONT BELONG HERE!" "NERD!" "DORK!" "SHE'S DIFFERENT!" "ALIEN!" I had to take a deep breath, saying to myself "you are not that person anymore, so buck up, put your shoulders back and walk in with confidence."

As I stepped into the restauraunt, i couldnt believe my eyes. everybody sat in the exact same cliques they had 6yrs ago, even though alot of them hadnt even kept in touch. then i felt really weird and out of place. i never really and truly had a clique...just some decent friends who were all a little psychologically imbalanced or just plain weird or above it all, like me. misfits really, but nice, caring and intelligent people who didnt really fit in, people who nobody really wanted to get to know. and i can understand why.

they were all afraid that by acknowledging our presence they would realise that underneath all the bravado, all the effort to fit in and all the effort to maintain a certain amount of coolness and nonchalance, they were JUST LIKE US. and that frightened everybody. we were the skinny ones, the underdeveloped ones, the ones with acne, bushy hair, we were quiet, unnoticed, the world would be the same whether we were dead or alive. but that was when the world simply consisted of school and its four walls. however, we are now all making our mark in society, as educators, defenders and healers.

i eventually sat down, had a decent meal and discussed events which happened in the past, when we still wore the yellow and white striped uniform and lived for the week-end, only to discuss it in detail on monday morning. i laughed and even felt a little nostalgic. they got drunk and sang the school song at the top of their lungs and took photos.

as i said my good-byes and walked away, i said to myself "this simply isnt my scene anymore. what went on in those four walls should remain locked up forever.

and this title that i cherish,
i shall keep from stain and blemish.
malta's children shall endure.

i have endured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home